Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Fritos Corn Chips Fire Tinder

I had a bag of corn chips sitting in the car this weekend when I went out to collect a few natural materials to make char so I decided to use the bag of Fritos as my initial fire starter just to see how well it worked as an initial tinder bundle. In the video below I conduct a burn duration test of a single chip and also show how long a single snack size bag of chips will last when making a fire from them. Once the fire was out I used the ember to ignite a tinder bundle of dead grass and tulip poplar inner bark to make my fire for the evening which I would ultimately used to make charred natural materials for flint/steel (Post coming later in the week).

Need Additional Help Getting Your Fire Started? Try a few of these methodsDryer Lint Tinder Bundle  (LINK); Gorilla Tape Tinder Bundle (LINK); Rub Cloth (LINK); Dragon Ball Fire Starters (LINK); Char Cloth (LINK); Solar Ignition (LINK); One Stick Fire (LINK); Fire Pad (LINK); DIY Fire Starter: Cotton & Petroleum Jelly Modification  (LINK); Camp Fire vs. Survival Fire vs. Cooking Fire (LINK); Building a Sustainable Fire In Wet Conditions (LINK); Split Match Trick (LINK); Survival Resources 4x Fresnel Magnifier (LINK); Fatwood Fire (LINK); Evolution of My Pocket Fire Kit (LINK); Split Wood Fires: Using Your Knife As A Spokeshave (LINK); Cattail Fluff Used as Flash Tinder (LINK); Wetfire Tinder (LINK); Twig Bundle Fire (LINK);What I like to Use For Tinder Bundle Materials (LINK).


This video/article started in jest as I thought to myself who would venture out with just a lighter and a bag of corn chips but when I saw the performance of the corn chips I was quasi impressed with the flame intensity and simultaneously worried about the random liquid running out of the chips as they burned. Who I ever use this fire starting medium..... Probably not aside from this past weekend, but it is defiantly a viable fire starting method; however, I prefer more traditional fire starting methods such as flint/steel or magnification.


As you can see in the below picture the fire starter worked quite well and created a significant flame with which you could  build your fire. Bottom line if you can't get a fire with this fire method there is a problem.
Thank you Fritos for you contribution to my camp for memorial day weekend! While I didn't eat any of your snack (a little afraid to after seeing the red liquid pouring out) it did make an excellent fire for the evening.

Don't Have a fire Kit? Buy One By Clicking Below
 

Conclusions:
This could very well be one of my shortest articles in quite sometime but it was fun to explore the lighter (pun intended) side of fire making. I don't get out and make fires with a lighter very often so whenever I decide to make one I try to make it something a little off the wall. Before anyone asks... yes I got the idea from Les Stroud (a.k.a. Survivor man) from one of his episodes several years back and when I saw the bag of chips in the car I knew I had to give the idea a try. Just as an FYI almost all chips will burn like this and the more grease in  the chip the faster they go up. I hear Doritos work quite well for a longer-term fire and lays burn up in a matter of seconds.

Have something outdoor/bushcraft/trapping/preparedness/hiking/camping/fishing/hunting related you want me to make a post about? Leave me a comment and I will see what I can do! As always feel free to leave your questions and comment below! Also if you enjoy the blog please vote for us on the following websites to help us reach a wider audience:
You are only able to vote once DAILY using this site! Currently we are just outside the top 20 on this site.   
AND
You are able to vote DAILY on this site! We are currently ranked # 2 on this site!

No comments:

Post a Comment