Monday, November 3, 2014

Micro 10 C's Testing: Improvised Aluminum Container

Micro 10 C's Testing: Improvised Aluminum Container:

Last week I added a little bit of heavy duty aluminum foil to my Micro 10 C's Kit (LINK) to serve as a redundant container (in addition to my Altoids tin, produce bag or any other container I may be able to find or make), frying pan, signaling device and also a noise buffer to take up all of the dead space in the container. I was not satisfied with one of the hardest "C's" to replicate in the wild just being an Altoids tin and a produce bag so I added this as a hold over until I found another metal container or was able to make a birch bark container or burn out a log to stone boil in. I'm still not quite satisfied with my knife choices but will eventually find a better option (I do always carry my PLSK1 on my hip so that would make life so much easier). If you have any small Altoids knife options please let me know. So without further delay onto the evaluation.

Here Is A Video Of The Improvised Container Testing Over A Camp Fire:

Step-By-Step Process:
1) Select your aluminum foil of choice (I chose Reynolds Heavy Duty) and lay it out to begin forming the shape of your container.
2) The square shaped containers I made seem to hold water much better than the circular ones but the boil times are much worse. I also highly recommend that you save enough material to make a lid as this will speed boil times greatly and prevent as much evaporation as possible.
3) The circular shaped containers had the best boil times but over all ere extremely hard to get one that didn't leak. You are also able to make this material into a makeshift frying pan or pot using a forked stick if the situation dictates.
4) Light your tinder bundle and add smalls and allow for ignition.
5) Add fuel and allow for ignition.
6) Place several large sticks on the top of the pile to give yourself a good flat work platform from which you can boil on.
7) Allow flames to engulf the container to speed the boiling process (be sure to watch as your wood pile burns down to avoid a shift of the container spilling out all of your hard boiled water).
8) Grab a seat, sit back and watch your your water boil over and over again. I ended up boiling in this container for over three hours to ensure that it would be reliable long-term container.
9) Once I began to get low on wood I decided to see how long it would take to make the container fail. To get the container to fail I simply placed the container empty into the flames and left it there for about 30 minutes after which it finally developed a small hole in the bottom center.

Conclusions:
I saw the need for an additional container (aside from the Altoids tin and a produce bag) and thought heavy duty aluminum foil would fill this void quite well. The material itself is able to be formed into multiple shapes and it is able to become any type of container you can think of in a survival situation. Through testing I found the containers I made to be quite durable, so long as you keep them full of water (letting all of the water boil off will cause failure). The boil times were not great by any means. To combat these poor boil times keep a small portion of the foil to make yourself a lid and you will have a much more effective makeshift container. Add to this the materials ability to signal and also act as a buffer to keep materials from moving and you have a solid piece of pocket 10 C's kit!

As always feel free to leave your questions and comment below! Also if you enjoy the blog please vote for us on the following websites to help us reach a wider audience:

http://www.topprepperwebsites.com/vin.php?s=7ps
You are only able to vote once DAILY using this site! Currently we are just outside the top 20 on this site.

                        AND
http://bestprepperwebsites.com/
You are able to vote DAILY on this site!
We are currently ranked # 2 on this site!

No comments:

Post a Comment