Wednesday, June 11, 2014

EDC/Bushcraft Cook Set

EDC/Bushcraft Cook Set
I have had a few questions about my pathfinder cook set and how I'm able to utilize the traditional Maxpedition insulated bottle bag with that kit and still add items. The Pathfinder store has come out with a new bottle bag that is a few inches taller and has eliminated the insulation from the bag. While that may be an easy fix it also takes away one of the best features of that particular bag and that is keeping ice cold water cold for up to an entire 24 hours shift if it lasts anywhere near that long). I personally modified my bag with a 46 oz juice container which creates a snug fit and stops any catching on the edge of the bag (I need to get another container and use a can opener that allows you to save the top as a lid in the future). OK enough talk lets take the grand tour: 


1) Bottle bag as it sits on the exterior of my EDC pack  and also what you see when you first open the bag. The two cup lids nest perfectly and fit upside down in the lid without much effort and as you can see a newly acquired camp cup that replaced my bread making container as the top portion of this kit. 
2) The Pathfinder lid and a Wal-Mart lid nested






3) On the left you can see the pathfinder bottle cook set and on the right you have the 46oz juice container that gives the kit its rigidity and prevents gear from getting hung up on the insulation. 




















4) Left Picture: top left you have the Wal-Mart special cup and lid (great for making tea), top right the pathfinder cup and lid (used for noodles the side dish or main meal depending on what is to be cooked), bottom left pathfinder bottle stove, bottom right pathfinder bottle with Kleen lid (highly recommend you change lids out on this bottle it is the weakest part of the design).
Right Picture: The entire kit (minus the juice can) as it is stacked inside the water bottle bag.

5) Exterior pocket contents: several feet of heavy duty AL foil, 12 water purification tablets, train mix, bullion cubes and spices, spork, bottle/cup fire tool (i.e. fish mouth spreader), almond butter, bag of sugar/tea/hot chocolate/ lemonade and the Ezbit alcohol stove



6) My fire kit (finds its home on the opposite side of my EDC bag) also doubles as a frying pan and has a removable handle. For reference purposes this container is deep enough to stack 2 Altoids tins, a lighter and still have room for an old cutup t-shirt on top of the kit to help prevent noise.

There you have it one EDC/Bushcraft Cook Set. Please feel free to leave any suggestions or comments!


5 comments:

  1. You got it down! My unit is a mess right now. But a work in progress. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Problem! Its an evolving process with each trip and whenever a new product meets a particular need.

      Delete
  2. I'd get too frustrated with pulling my bottle and stove and cup out of it. The juice can is a great idea, but I've jumped over to the Swiss Military Gas Mask Pouch. Still have my Condor H2O Pouch, but don't use it anymore.

    I LOVE the mess kits! I have a pair in Stainless Steel Danish Mess Kits. Mors seemed quite fond of them as well. Besides being an awesome cookset, you can carry some really substantial survival gear in there including a nylon 5X7 tarp, full sized knife, etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You only have to out the top cup to get to your water bottle. Also the extra items seem to help insulate the bottle keeping the contents hot/cold longer in an non insulated bottle I'm keeping ice in my bottle for 24 hours+ depending on how many times I take it out of the bag.

      Delete
    2. If you could slip some foam in between the can and the pouch, you'd definitely increase the insulation value of the kit. :)

      Delete